Jack93racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torsion bars?

3 posters

Go down

Torsion bars? Empty Re: Torsion bars?

Post  Bob Franklin Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 pm

I actually won the tester at the Chili Bowl several years ago. At the time, the manufacturer was marketing them for $900 bucks. I talked to a few midgets crews who used it and they seemed satisfied with the results.
Not sure if this company is even in business anymore.

Bob Franklin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:46 am

Bob

Is your torsion bar checker something you bought or made? If you bought it who sells them?

Thanks, Mark
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Torsion bars? Empty Torsion Bars

Post  openwheel44 Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Like Bob mentioned, you need to meaure the bar when it is new and unused for a true comparsion using any method. I used to paint a thin stripe along the centerline of the bar and watch for any out of line twist as I accumulated time on a bar. mainly did that when i was running a full midget. Haven't done that for years. Haven't had to.

To be honest, I have the orginal set of front coils on my car that I started with when I switched to coil over fronts. And most know, that was many, many moons ago! I periodically check the settings using my setup blocks to see signs of weakening. Haven't yet. I have replaced the rear torsion bars maybe once in the last 3-4 years and that was strictly due to the fact my conscience was bothering me. Once again, I check intial settings periodically and have not observed either bar going away in either the winged or non-winged mode. But like most, I alsway have my car OFF the suspension when not racing. The only time I would be suspicious of a bar is being involved in a wreck and tweeking the bar due to severe increase in travel range. I am probably ate up here but I just haven't noticed our "light" cars being to abusive to bars or springs. Maybe I should stop running these pavement bars and run the "soft" stuff and try to go faster, huh?

openwheel44

Back to top Go down

Torsion bars? Empty torsion bars

Post  Bob Franklin Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:41 am

I have a torsion bar checker, but it is only accurate if I have the reading when the bar was new. Then I can compare any changes. If the bar is really out of limits based on any new bar of equal size, then that becomes obvious.

However, I find with the cars we ran, it seems that the LR bar doesn't last more than a season. I don't have a real feel for gauging how much time a guy puts on the bars before he replaces them. I do know that if the car is involved in a wreck, then you might want to consider how the wreck might have affected the bars at each corner.

Bob Franklin

Back to top Go down

Torsion bars? Empty Torsion bars?

Post  Jack Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:20 pm

How do I check them and when do I change them? I read in the Mini sprint bible about using a scale and bottle jack. Is this the only way to check them? Or is it just best to change them all the first of the year? Or atleast the Right Rear? Seem like using a bottle jack leaves a lot of room for error.

Thanks, Mark
Jack
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down